- Regulator Profile
- What is GSC
- GSC license requirements
- Types of GSC licenses
- Casinos regulated by GSC
Isle of Man Gambling Supervision Commission Leading the Way in Gaming Regulation
As one of the more highly regarded licenses within the industry, the Isle of Man Gambling Supervision Commission (GSC) certificate is desired by many operators. The regulatory body issued its first license in 2001, and since that time, it has provided several more. Yet the GSC has been active since 1962. In addition to the licensing of land-based operations, the Isle of Man GSC regulates all online gambling activities, helping to keep it crime-free.
- Jurisdiction: Isle of Man Gambling Supervision Commission
- Website: https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/statutory-boards/gambling-supervision-commission/
- Address: Ground Floor, St George’s Court, Myrtle Street, Douglas, Isle of Man, IM1 1ED
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: +44 1624 694331
- Founded: 1962
- Register an Online Casino Complaint: https://www.gov.im/categories/business-and-industries/gambling-and-e-gaming/iom-gambling-supervision-commission-complaints-form/
What Does Isle of Man Gambling Supervision Commission Regulate?
The Gambling Supervision Commission (GSC) of the Isle of Man was founded in 1962, beginning as an independent regulatory for land-based casinos. Its responsibilities expanded later to cover online gambling activity, and it became one of the first to regulate such with the creation of the Online Gambling Regulation Act 2001 (OGRA). The objective of this is to protect players and support iGaming businesses.
Strict gambling regulations on its licensees ensure that minors are protected, fair gaming practices are enacted by all operators, and crime-free gambling takes place at all licensed sites. Over the years, this has helped to establish the GSC as a leading body within the industry. Any brand holding a license from the organization can be considered legitimate and 100% regulated.
Isle of Man GSC Licence Requirements and Fees
Any operator wanting to know what the GSC license fees are, will need to know about the different licensing options. These have different costs attached to them, with increases in fees occurring in 2023.
The different GSC license fees are as follows:
- OGRA Application - £5,250
- OGRA Full Licence - £36,750
- OGRA Sub Licence - £5,250
- OGRA Network Services Licence - £52,500
- OGRA Token-Based Software Licence - £52,500
- OGRA Software - £36,750
To secure a GSC license you are required to go through a few steps, with the first being to establish your company in the Isle of Man. The company needs to have two residents, Directors and a Designated Official or Operations Manager based on the Isle of Man.
You must also undergo and pass due diligence checks. Any Directors, Designated Officials, Money Laundering Reporting Officers, and owners with a 5% or more stake in your company are subject to these checks.
You must also submit specific documents for the application, including:
- A detailed business plan
- A description of the games to be offered
- A target market description
- A third-party RNG certificate
- A software description
- A Technical System Testing report
- Confirmation of servers is based on the Isle of Man
- Confirmation of no criminal records
- Copies of ID documents and/or passports
- Bank references
- Utility bills
These documents must be provided for each key person within the business, and the paperwork mustn’t be older than three months. After submitting such, you wait for the application to process, which can take between 10 and 12 weeks.
How Do Complaints Work?
The basis behind the Gambling Supervision Commission is to ensure that all players are safe, protected, and gambling within secure environments online. Should you come to a point of not trusting an online casino, then you can submit a complaint about it here.
Your first step should always be to reach out to the casino itself and validate your concerns with them. Advisors in customer support can escalate your complaints to higher-ups. Yet if you’re still not satisfied, the Isle of Man GSC is the last port of call for you.
If you think that an online casino is operating against the rules and regulations of its Isle of Man license, then you can report it. Maybe you have played at a casino where your bets have been voided with no explanation, or perhaps there are problems with customer service. Maybe you’ve experienced some issues with casino payment methods or disputes about bonus offers. Your account may have been closed by the site.
Whatever the case, if you cannot resolve the issues with the casino in question, you can turn to the GSC. There is a specific procedure to go through for complaints, with a form to fill out at the official website. Several steps exist within the GSC complaint procedure, so be sure to go through each of them properly to submit the report.
Types of Isle of Man GSC Licences Available
We highlighted the costs for six different features of a license application from the GSC. Yet only four of them exist as actual licenses for live online casinos. The four that you can apply for are:
- Full OGRA Licence – This is a B2C license, which is required by any operator looking to offer gambling activities under license or who wishes to supply software for such. It covers casino gaming, bingo games, poker, sports betting activities, lotteries, and pool betting. Furthermore, operators can offer technology, including games, software, network access and more, to Isle of Man sub-licensees.
- Sub-Licence – Any business looking to operate exclusively with a technology provider holding a full OGRA license can acquire a sub-license for a smaller fee. This is perfect for any small brands just starting out and looking to grow their business.
- Network Services Licence – Another B2C license, this one, is required should an operator wish to permit one or more foreign-based players to access its Isle of Man servers without registering their details. Anyone holding this license gets all the benefits of a full OGRA license, too.
- Token-Based Software Supplier Licence – This is a B2B license, which is required by those who have created blockchain tokens and intend to use these as the method of transaction by those utilizing the gambling software.
Verifying an Isle of Man GSC Casino
Anyone intending to play at an online casino should always check to see if it is licensed and regulated first. If a casino operator holds a license from the Isle of Man, then it is likely that it will display the seal of the regulatory body on its website somewhere. Usually at the bottom of the platform.
It will also have stamps of approval from the license provider, as well as from other companies, which it should display in an outright way.
If you’re unsure about a platform and its licensed status, then you can visit the official Isle of Man GSC website and search for the owner/operator of the casino in question.
These couple of steps will allow you to find out if a casino is regulated by the GSC:
Scroll down to the bottom of the casino page and see if the Isle of Man GSC seal is visible.
Visit the Isle of Man GSC website and click on ‘Current Licence Holders’ to find the operator.
Advantages and Disadvantages of the Regulator
- Top-level player protection
- Covers all types of gambling games
- Supports foreign-based players
- Excellent operator accountability
- Support for all types of currencies
- High annual fee to pay
- Licensees also have to pay taxes on GGY of 1.5%
Casinos with Isle of Man GSC License
The purpose of the GSC is to ensure the online gambling market is regulated and remains crime-free. It also protects the interests of gamblers around the world, ensuring they aren’t exploited. As of 2023, there are 85 individual companies holding licenses from this authority. Operators turn to regulators like UKGC, GSC, GGC so that players can put their trust in their online casinos and enjoy their experiences with no worries.
Why Is the Isle of Man Licence a Good One to Own?
Several benefits come with an Isle of Man licence, including all gambling activities being covered by a single licence, all currencies supported, the ability to operate in various markets, and a relatively competitive tax market.
What Type of Isle of Man Licence Do I Need?
It depends upon the type of gambling business you are intending to operate. Most operators will require a full OGRA license covering all types of gambling. Yet smaller businesses may be better off with a sub-license.
How Much Does It Cost to Acquire an Isle of Man GSC Licence?
It depends upon the type of license you are applying for, as there are different options. The application costs £5,250, while a full license costs £36,750.
How Do I Complain about an Online Casino Licensed by the GSC?
If you cannot resolve the problems you have experienced with the casino, you can fill out the complaint form at the Isle of Man Gambling Supervision Commission website.
How Long Does It Take for the Application to Be Processed?
There is an average wait time of between 10 and 12 weeks for the application to be processed.